Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Coming Out of The Fog

e found a giant moth

We rented a pontoon a few times while in WV. E LOVED going out on the tube!We visited Coopers' Rock in WV. It is quite a view!

Well, I'm finally starting to come out of the fog of the horror that happened last month. I think there are just some things that happen in your life that scar you for the rest of your life. This is one of those things. I try not to think about the terror that my friend went through during her last moments...when she awoke, with her neck slit, saw that her own son had killed her and fought for her life. I am trying to focus on all the positive experiences we had together. I'm sure, in time, those are the memories that will fill my thoughts about her.
The kids at the castle

So, the day after I found out about her death, we had scheduled to go camping at the family camp we go to for Mother's Day weekend. We LOVE this place. It was just the vacation I needed. No tv, no phones, no cell phone service, nothing but nature...except when I drove to the top of the mountain to check my messages and check on my friend's mom. All our meals are cooked for us, and in the morning, the kids go to group time...kind of like their camp time, during which they went on hikes, went swimming, built gnome homes (for all the gnomes living in the woods, of course), visited the animals in the nature center, went on pony rides, or whatever else the counselors could think of to keep them busy.

e and E playing in the woods

E getting a sailing lesson

e swimming in the lake

After their group time, they return to the cafeteria for camp songs, where I join them. We have lunch together, then there are any number of planned activities we can participate in. But, while they were in camp, I took sailing lessons, went on hikes, went canoeing, got a massage, and went on the zip line. The kids wanted to see me go on the zip line, so I did it a second time later in the week....kind of terrifying and fun at the same time!

E and e playing by the lake

And, e with the stinky fish they found!

We decorated cupcakes one afternoon

And helped paint a mural another day...

The afternoons we spent doing artwork, hiking, boating, whatever. A couple evenings they had kids night out, so I had more free time to relax. There is always lots of singing camp songs and acting crazy. A great way to bond with the family. Love, love, love this place. We will make it a tradition. I never have to worry about the kids, since everyone is watching out for everyone. The second to last day there, I spent the afternoon kayaking and sailing while E went sailing with someone else and e played on the beach with a friend. SO relaxing.

The 40 foot climb to do the zip line and me going across!

After being away for over a month, though, it was nice to get home. Of course, I had to leave a few days later to go to my friend's funeral, which was horrible, as you might imagine. The priest talked a lot about forgiveness...I know this was my friend's mom's doing, but I just don't know if I can forgive this kid. It was a heinous, violent, cold-blooded act. I just don't know.

There are some good things that have come out of this...I've really been trying to make lemonade out of the whole situation. My friend and I did a lot of work and research together. She is the reason I spent so much time in Italy and was to spend most, if not all, of my summers there in the future. So, I have taken over that part of the company to continue the college trips and executive retreats there. It will be a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it. I'll keep you updated!

Last but not least...I'm hesitant to even say anything to jinx it. BUT, over the past couple years or so, my friend had been after me to meet a guy that she used to date. She was forever trying to fix me up...usually with strangers that looked attractive, but always trying to fix me up, nonetheless. While we were in WV, she says to me, "I've got the perfect man for you!" She then proceeds to show me a picture of some random muscle bound man wearing a speedo on the beach in Italy. He did look good! We had no idea who he was, but she was convinced she could find out for me.

There were a couple of her ex's there that I sat with at the funeral. One, I thought was coming on to me, but he kind of gave me the creeps...not sure why...nice guy, just a little too consoling. The other one, however....the one that she has been after me to meet for the past couple years was very nice. We had dinner together after the visitation the night before the funeral. His sister joined us as did another friend of mine. We sat together at the funeral and at the luncheon following. He's been emailing me almost daily since. Not in an overbearing way, but a very natural way. SO, we'll see what happens. He is a retired news producer, now writer. He's published two books and is working on his third. I think one of the first is being made into a movie, but I haven't gotten the details. Since he is a writer, his emails are very visual and almost poetic in their imagery. If nothing else, I'm enjoying his friendship. He lives in NC, so I'm not sure how feasible a long distance relationship is...on the other had, where there is a will, there is a way....I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to check out family camps for my boys and me. (In a few years!) I can't imagine what a terrible ordeal your friend's murder has been. Unbelievable. I'm glad you were able to shield your children from the pain and that they had a fun summer. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOVE the family camps! A lot of the kids are really young. You might even want to start checking them out now to see what the youngest age is that they have group time for! They are a great tradition to have with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, those pictures and stories are so inviting! I'm going to find a family camp near me for next summer!
    I'm so excited for this new potential regular date!! I hope he makes your tummy do flip flops whenever he walks toward you.

    ReplyDelete