Monday, August 23, 2010

Crazy Turned Nightmare

Just a brief update to bring you up to speed on everything. So, after all the craziness of West Virginia, it all turned into a nightmare a week ago last Friday. About 8:15 in the morning I got a call from my friend's mom telling me that she had been killed while traveling in India. She went from Sri Lanka to India to do some touring with her 15 year old son. Her mom proceeded to tell me that she was stabbed to death in her hotel room and that her son was being held as a suspect. It's all just beyond comprehension. I couldn't believe it and felt really bad for her son...to find out that his mom had been killed and then to be held as a suspect. How terrible! Well, it gets even worse. As the details started to spill out, it is looking like he really did do it.

My friend sent me a text around 12:30 am that morning and then called her mother (who was with me). I'm guessing she went to bed just after that conversation. Later, during the night, her son allegedly cut her throat, dragged her body to the beach nearby, and then tried to board a plane to Delhi.

I leave tomorrow for the funeral. I'm just devastated. She was one of my closest friends and I just can't get my head around how a son can feel so much violence towards his mother. She was such a good person. I thought he was, too. He had so much going for him...spoke Italian fluently, German fairly well, too, well traveled, studied in Italy usually about half the year. I took him to Cyprus and Egypt with us last summer and he has watched my kids on several occasions. I will never get it. I guess you never really know people. It turns out that since he is a minor, it's very rare for minors to be tried as adults in India, so the most he will get is probably three years. Insane. I will really miss her.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. No words for that. Just horrible. An absolute nightmare.
    My condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. You must still be in shock. These things never make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a heartbreaking story. This falls under the category of things you will just never understand...how anyone, especially a child, could do something like that. I will keep your friend's family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete