Thursday, April 29, 2010

Just Thinking

I've been thinking more and more about either adopting another child or becoming a foster parent. I have no idea whether I could handle another child financially or otherwise, but of course I could. Foster parenting becomes more of a challenge when I start to think about the details, like what to do when we want to travel, and the fact that I may have to give the child back to a not-so-good home. That would just rip me apart. Of course, adoption has its challenges, too. It's probably more money than I want to spend right now, and would take a long time. I'm not getting any younger. So, I'm leaning towards the foster parenting. Has anyone done it? Any feedback on the process, challenges, etc? I am fully prepared to try to adopt a foster child if it works out. Isn't that cheaper than going through an agency? Not that it's all about the money. I just see so many kids out there that need a better home, and I think ours is pretty great.

6 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you--same thoughts. I'm just afraid of biting off more than I can chew and also want to be sure my son doesn't get short-changed in the process. He would benefit in so many ways, but only if it were a good fit for all of us. So hard to come up with the answers when you've never met the child that might become your newest addition to the family.
    Maybe start to put your feelers out there and see what happens.
    I agree. Your home IS pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you're so sweet! Yeah, I think there's no other way to see if it's the right thing than to just give it a try. I'd hate to look back and say I should have. I agree that I worry about any negative impacts on the kids, too, but I think they are now strong enough to stay on a positive path, as well as help someone new get on a positive path. But, you're right, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I think you should give it a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I am sure you would feel fulfillment to help other kids out there that need a good home. What I would worry about is how it would affect my kids if I were to do it. But it is a blessing. Have you tried to talk to your children about it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not spoken to the kids about it yet....I'm not 100% sure I want to bring another child into the house. I agree that how that child would affect my own is the biggest thing....I'm going to continue to think about it...maybe look into it a little more before I speak to the kids about it. I'll keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to hear both of you talk about this!!!! I have a friend who has adopted, and has fostered as well (and has a bio child) - if you want I can try to connect you if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete