Monday, January 17, 2011

Back to Dating

Okay, so I've taken the initiative to get back into the online dating scene. I've reactivated my profiles on two of the dating sites and even tried a third - which I quickly canceled because the ick factor was too high....Hey, since I live in the middle of nowhere, I have to be very proactive! So, here's my question...what is it about these guys and their profile pictures? A large portion of them post pictures of themselves with their dogs...many of those pictures have been taken professionally! There are also a LOT of pictures of JUST the dog(s). Quite often the number of pictures of the dog outnumbers the number of pictures of the guy. Also, a lot of pictures are of the guys taking pictures of themselves in the mirror with their cell phone...sometimes they are flexing their muscles, sometimes just trying to look normal. Many of them post pictures of places and things...beaches, homes, places they've been, their car, etc...just the places, not them in them. Isn't the whole point to see what they look like and not the surroundings? I just don't get it. Some of them even talk about the fact that they like to have sex on a regular basis. Okay, that rates pretty high on the ick scale, too. Sorry, but I don't even want to think about sex with a guy until I get to know him! Maybe they're just looking for someone to jump in the sack with them right away. I'm sure there are other women out there who want that. I guess.

Meanwhile, I'm still not sure P gets the message that I'm cooling things off. He still calls me "sweetie" on the phone, although we are talking much less often. Also, we have not made any plans to see each other again anytime soon. I guess I'll just have to take it as it comes and see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. With some guys, it takes a while for the message to sink in. P might be one of them. I admire you for being proactive and yet, carefully screening the profiles. So many couples (happy ones!) I know have met online...here's hoping you meet someone soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, don't think I'd have gotten too many dates if I used a picture of Rex (my dachsund) as my profile pic!!!! Too funny. You do have to be careful. I was close to deleting my profile on the site where I met Mr NN, primarily because of the ick factor - too many oddballs - foreigners wanting me to send them money - guys clearly out for only one thing - guys old enough to be my grandfather. Ewwww! I just got lucky. Hopefully you will be able to sift through the Duds and find a few potentials out there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I also saw most guys putting photos of their "objects" as if that would lure us women into believing they are a great catch for their cars, boats, bikes, etc... And the photo of their faces is literally 2 decades old....Good luck to you. P will get the message before you tell him. If he is calling less often, is perhaps that he got the message already...
    You look fabulous, have the energy and lots to offer to the right guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Care and Demeter, and thanks, smith, for visiting! Maybe that's it - they think they are going to woo us with their pets, cars, bikes, friends...I don't get it. And yes, their pictures ARE often decades old! We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated on the escapade!

    ReplyDelete