Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Where Have I Been?

Well, things haven't been going quite as planned for the past month or so. I guess because I really had two surgeries in one, my recuperation period was a little longer. I was in constant pain for about three weeks...that has finally subsided, but I have been in and out of the hospital for various reasons for the past several weeks. Mostly from still having pain that has lasted longer than it should have. Last week, they determined that I probably have developed an ulcer. Not totally uncommon with the bypass surgery. They prescribed a super-duper antacid which has really helped. Stupid me, on the way home from that appointment, I decided to have some pasta with tomato sauce. BAD idea. I was in excruciating pain for about 15 minutes while it made its way through my system and past my stomach.

But the fatigue is still here. So much so that I have hardly been able to walk across the room without needing to sit down and rest. Last Monday I couldn't stand it anymore and checked myself back into the ER. Unfortunately, that was my birthday. Not a great way to spend it! They did lots and lots of tests and the only thing that's coming up odd is my iron level. I've been taking supplements and should be getting more than 200% of the recommended daily intake, but apparently it's not absorbing. So, now I have to figure out how to get it. I am going back to the hospital later today (hopefully, they can fit me in) to get an iron injection. Hopefully, my energy will come back with that, but the question still remains how I will get it in the future. I'll have to ask them about that when I see them.

So, I'm still here...just trying to get my energy back. The kids have been great...very helpful and understanding, but they want their mom back, too!

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of an iron injection. I hope it helps. I'm glad your children have been helpful and understanding--this past month has been rough on all of you. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. That sucks.
    Iron shots. NOT FUN. OUCH. I've never had one but I know folks that have.
    Perhaps after things settle down, your iron absorbtion will improve? I hope?
    I'm sending my positive energy to you so your energy will return!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it turned out the the iron was not a shot, but an infusion. I got one last Monday and will get two more in three week increments. It's not an instant fix, but at least I'm off the couch! It's definitely been a very challenging five weeks, but I feel like I'm finally out of the woods. Let's hope I continue in a positive direction! The nurse, on Monday, said this is not uncommon and usually corrects itself over time. So, I guess my body will learn to absorb iron again...somehow. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you've been having such a rough time! I hope you're officially on the road to full recovery now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was wondering where you were. So sorry you have been so bad lately. Hopefully you will get better and back to normal. Take care!

    ReplyDelete