Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Surgery Follow-up

Well, I'm finally back among the living. I can't say I'm here 100% yet, though. Still taking a lot of pain meds. The recuperation has been slower than I expected - but, for a number of reasons. Most people who get this surgery are in the hospital just overnight. I was in for four days. I requested the third day from my doctor so I could have one extra day on my own without the kids depending on me (they, btw, have been really great through this whole thing).

The fourth day was unexpected. While they were doing the surgery, they noticed that I had a "pretty significant" hiatal hernia. So they fixed that while they were in there. I ended up really having two surgeries at once and I think the double whammy led to a slower recuperation time. While I was in the hospital, I was also running a fever of about 102 and my lungs collapsed a little. That's why I had to stay the third night.

I finally got home Monday afternoon. I felt a little better every day, but didn't feel like I was taking huge steps. By Saturday, I was still in a lot of pain and feeling weak, so I checked myself into the ER. Fortunately, everything was fine. It appears that I tried to get off the pain meds a little too early and then got a little dehydrated. I am now being a lot better at keeping up with the meds and starting to feel a lot better. I'm hoping to be back to myself (or better!) in the next week or so.

The kids have been great. They really understand that I'm still in pain and that I don't have a lot of energy and have been really helpful. E has helped me bathe e and both have helped me with the laundry. I'm so lucky to have such great kids.

e turned four yesterday! I can't believe it. She's been SO excited for her birthday and has been asking me for the last month when she was going to turn four. Every day, she has been showing me how big she's getting. So cute. She wanted a two-wheeled Razor scooter, so now she and E have matching scooters - one pink, one blue. I also bought a couple presents for E to give to her. He was really excited about that, too. They really love each other a lot.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an ordeal! Hope your recovery is smooth from now on!
    That's cute about the scooters. Farty wants to do everything Ceara does too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are on your way to a full recovery. It's so scary when we moms aren't feeling 100% but have our children depending on us. Shows just how strong we are when we "get it done". Great idea having a few presents for your son to give your daughter. I'll have to remember that! Happy Birthday, e!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have to admit, it was a really tough week! I did have one little breakdown the day I went into the ER. I was just so tired of being in pain and being weak and consequently not being able to take care of my kids. Much better now, but it is definitely really hard when we single moms can't "do everything." I don't think the kids took it nearly as hard as I did. Fortunately, they've been really great about the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are over the worst of it. I hope everyday you feel better.
    I'm glad they found and fixed that hernia. After all that effort, when you shed the extra weight, who wants a bump to be there??
    You are so fortunate to have such wonderful, helpful kids.
    Happy Birthday e!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you are recovering. Hope you make a full recovery soon.
    And what wonderful kids you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are on the mend, after what sounds like a trying few days. I hope you continue to feel better. The kiddoes sound so cute! How great that they have eachother!

    ReplyDelete