Friday, February 5, 2010

Challenges For The Next Week

Okay, so the surgery is scheduled for next Friday...one week from today. Wouldn't you know that a million things come up at the last minute? I'm buying a new property today and have someone working on getting it into shape for rental. Let's hope I don't have to actually show it while I'm under the weather...I'm sure I can get a friend to go over there for me. I've also decided to get my basement finished. Of course, I have them starting on Monday. Chances are they will be knocking down walls and doing all kinds of sawing/drilling while I'm home. Well, at least they'll be in the basement. With good drugs, I'll be able to sleep through a train wreck. Add to that the million things going on at work and trying to hide this from everyone and things get a little challenging!

I rented a recliner to put in my bedroom so the kids don't try to sleep with me. I've never rented anything from RentACenter, but you would think that I was asking for the moon! They practically wanted my right arm and promises to hand over my first born in the application process. FOUR references! I wonder if they even called them. My credit is nearly perfect, so this seemed a little over the top to me! I actually just felt like a real low-life going through the process. It had a huge yuck factor!

Oh, and did I mention the problem with my foot? This has been going on WAY too long but will probably be one of the most challenging parts about my recuperation. In the summer of 2008, I slipped and fell by a pool while vacationing with the kids in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Of course, this was the first time I had decided to travel with them on my own. I broke a toe, sprained my ankle and tore my acl. It turned out to be the trip from hell since I could no longer push a stroller, carry my luggage or anything. Anyway, I won't go into a lot of details about that trip, but my foot hasn't been the same since. Following all the therapy, etc I had to do to get the toe, ankle and knee better, I got tendonitis/bursitis on my heel. Three cortisone injections, pt, and several rounds of oral steroids later, things are not getting a whole lot better, but offering temporary improvement. THEN I got the stress fracture on my foot -- yes, very close to where the broken toe was. So, into the cast I go. Three months later, the foot is better, the tendonitis/bursitis are also better. Another month later, the tendonitis/bursitis are back with a vengeance.

If you've ever landed on a pea or something really small on your heel, then you know how my foot feels all the time. My podiatrist made orthotics for me and that hasn't helped either. By the end of the day I can no longer walk on the foot or put any weight on it at all. So, she put me BACK in the walking cast. UGH. The hope is that it will get a little better, or at least tolerable until I'm feeling better from the surgery. Thank goodness I'll be getting some good pain meds with the surgery, but this may be the next part of my body to go under the knife...soon.

8 comments:

  1. Holy Cow and Yikes!!! That's a lot to deal with! I had no idea your foot was so troublesome since your fall. I imagine you had to have knee surgery to repair the ACL too?
    You've got a lot on your plate, but you also sound like you've got a handle on it all.
    AND buying a new property too??? You sure know how to pile it on.
    Congratulations on finding a new investment place to purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, I did not have to have surgery on the ACL. It was torn, but not completely. Just had to wear a brace and get a lot of PT.

    Yes, just closed on the new investment property. Now, to get it rented out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least the surgery/recovery time will force you to rest your foot too. And all the weight you'll lose is sure to help your foot and ankle! I've noticed that even losing 30lbs has made my heels less sore by the end of the day.
    Best of luck with juggling it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! The surgery and the house and your foot.. And what a nasty fall it sounds like. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the surgery. Is your brother coming to take care of the kids? I hope all goes well and gives you the result you want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the house! And the surgery! Your foot problem sounds painful. Hopefully it will go away with time. Looking forward to the outcome of your surgery. I am sure you will feel like a whole new you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! It really is nice to have such support. Especially since I'm not one to talk about these things in public or complain.

    I've decided that a year and a half is too long to deal with the heel pain and I'm going to contact a orthopedic doctor to get that moving along. If surgery is necessary, I need to have it as soon as possible, too, so I am well recuperated before we leave for Italy (hopefully, in May).

    My brother is not coming down, but I am slowly getting people together to cover the different segments of the weekend. It is definitely a scheduling challenge, but it will all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just thinking about you - hope everything went well on Friday!

    ReplyDelete