Friday, October 9, 2009

Party-Goers

Okay, E's birthday is coming up next week and I'm having his party next weekend, the 17th -- a Spongebob party at the bowling alley. I sent out about 30 invitations. The RSVP date was today and I think I've heard from about five people so far. WTH? How am I supposed to plan a party when people don't RSVP. Do I just assume they are coming? Assume that half of them will come? Now, I know people are busy, but come on! All they have to do is send me an email or give me a call. Maybe I sent the invitation out too early, but I figured three weeks was about the right time. I guess it's also enough time for people to forget about RSVPing. Maybe I'll have twenty phone messages on my machine when I get home. Ugh. Well, the good thing is that instead of goodie bags, this year, I got Target gift cards. I bought 23...hopefully, that will be enough. If it's too many, I can always use them myself. Ordering the pizza will be a challenge, though....

5 comments:

  1. The party sounds like FUN! What a bummer that you don't have a good sense of how many will be there--tough to give already and tougher to plan! Target gift cards, what a great idea! How much are you splurging on each card? Extras will always be usable--not so with the normal goody bag stuff. I'll try that idea next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are TERRIBLE at RSVP'ing---I just don't get that?! Can you send out a friendly email reminder? ....Anyway, the party sounds great and kudos to you for being so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I never answered your question about the gift cards....I got $5 gift cards for each child. I figured that's about what I spend on their goody-bags and this way they can get what they want. It makes life a lot easier! Target also has started to carry some really cool interactive gift cards...I think they want people to forget that they are actually money. The ones I got are puzzles...you know the kind where you have a whole bunch of squares that move around and there is one space...you have to move the squares to make a picture? They said that in the past, they even had one that was a little camera. Great marketing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Evite the next time...it sends reminder emails a week ahead (or whenever you want it to send) and you can set it to send them to everyone, or just those that haven't RSVP'd. I think it's a universal problem, not sending RSVPs. I got a few just 2 days before my E's birthday party this year...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Evite is a great idea! I wonder, in the future, if his teacher can get email addresses. That would be a huge help! Yes, the RSVPs are still trickling in...I think I'm up to about half now...party is two days away. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete