Monday, October 5, 2009

Go Fish

Thanks to everyone for the condolences. In the Jewish religion, it is customary to bury a person within 24 hours of their death, or as close to that time as possible. So, her funeral was on Friday. Funerals are always a great time to see people you haven't seen in a long time. I saw some people I haven't seen in probably 30 or more years. She had quite an impact on so many.

When I returned home, I found we had two new pets for the house. A friend of mine, who had been watching the kids while I was away, bought E two fish - a white one with an orange head and a black one. They are appropriately named Redhead and Bugsy...Bugsy because the fish looks like it is bug-eyed. They apparently didn't last the night before they made it back to our house, though. I got a call from my friend saying they were sick (she was on speakerphone in the car, so the kids could hear her) and that she was going back to the store to get them some medicine. I guess the two fish she returned with looked very similar to the original two because E didn't know the difference. Hopefully, these two will last a little longer!

UPDATE Oct. 6: Redhead went belly up during the day. We buried him (her?) last night in the garden. E dug a hole and put some rocks on top for the gravestones. Then we said some words..."Redhead, you were a good fish. You were a good swimmer and a good pet. We loved you and we'll miss you. Goodbye, Redhead." E didn't know quite what to say, so he asked me to go first. After I gave my little epitaph, he said something similar and we went inside to eat dinner (don't worry, it wasn't fish!). He went out ten minutes later to check on Redhead...who was still dead....and say some more words. Very cute.

3 comments:

  1. Awww. Too cute. It's all a lesson in life and learning about death. I wonder how they categorize it in their minds. It must be tough to figure out when there is no life experience yet that helps make sense of it. I tried to explain what a grave yard was the other day. He didn't understand why there were signs everywhere (tombstones) and why people get buried when the die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too long ago, we were driving past a cemetary and e says "look mom, people get married there!' hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are very cute, they must keep you very busy! My daughter thinks that everyone that dies becomes a photograph, because she sees dead people in photos! LOL

    ReplyDelete