Friday, August 7, 2009

The Local View

Since I moved here six years ago (I still can't believe it's been that long), I've seen a lot of things that I just don't see too often (or at all) in other places of the country. Since I was born and raised in CT, I'm still a New England gal at heart, so some of these things seem pretty strange. So, I've decided to start a list...it probably won't be too long, but I'll add to it now and then. Some of the things help to give this place a quaint charm, other things just make me scratch my head and go "hmmmmmm......"

  1. Amish families who come to your door to deliver baked goods, eggs, and veggies - Yes, for many, they pull up in their horse and buggy and come a knockin'.
  2. Testicles hanging from the back of trucks - Don't ask. I have no idea.
  3. Mullets. Lots of mullets.
  4. Halloween parades - every year there are several Halloween parades in the area full of homemade floats, local politicians, youth groups, LOTS of firetrucks and whoever wants to march. They are pretty long, usually lasting a good hour or so. Most in the parade throw candy out to the kids, who often dress in their Halloween costumes. Santa Claus marks the end of the parade.
  5. Christmas parades - same thing at Christmas. The kids gather outside the local mall where a parade, similar to the one at Halloween, is held. This one is a little shorter, but just as hokey, and still a LOT of fire trucks and candy thrown out for the kids. Santa Claus again marks the end of the parade.
  6. Chicken and waffles - obviously a savory dish?
  7. Menanite families arriving in droves to shop at WalMart - They just pile into their minivans and come as a group.
  8. The Nascar trucks - every year, after the Nascar race, the trucks carrying the cars come through this area to get to the highway about an hour south of here. People pack the streets to watch the trucks go by, cheering for their favorite drivers. Now remember, most of the time, the actual drivers of the cars are not in the trucks, and you can't SEE the racecars. It's just the trucks that carry them that form this sort of "parade". Also, it is not a formal parade where things are planned. People just "know" that the trucks will be coming through about two and a half hours after the race ends and then they start to line the streets. I haven't seen this phenomenon yet, but I suppose I should go for the experience at some point!
  9. No school on the first day of hunting season - all the schools are officially closed (except the Universities).

2 comments:

  1. Heh - having grown up in Ohio, I am so grinning at some of these. Now, I never had the Amish come to my door (although we used to drive to the Amish areas to eat and shop several times a year). The testicles - oh my gosh - those are the most tacky things ever. I see them a lot in OK too. Ugh! The mullets too - double ugh! Our Halloween and Christmas parades were always just like what you desribed - the whole town would turn out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've guessed you were in the deep south....but PA, yea, that makes sense, too. We live in a very strange country. (I grew up in Michigan, and have family near Buffalo, so I definitely know what you mean..)

    ReplyDelete