Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dating...help?

Okay, for anyone who is trying to get into the dating scene, I could use a little help here. With a lot of persuasion from a friend of mine, I decided to join eH. They send about a half dozen matches a day for me to look at. I have to admit that some of them look interesting.

Part of me really wants to date, and part of me really doesn't want to deal with it. In so many ways I am happy with the way things are right now. However, I know the kids are getting older, and it would be good for me to have a partner in life.

So, how to go about doing it....it's really scary! Do you contact people who look interesting? Or, do you wait to see who is going to contact you? What if you're not interested in the ones who contact you? Do you indicate you are not interested (for whatever reason)? Or, do you just ignore their inquiries? Any other suggestions? Yikes is all I have to say!

2 comments:

  1. I did EH for awhile. I found it a bit tedious, but the "quality" of the matches was definitely higher than other sites I'd tried. At first, I did contact the ones who looked interesting to me, yes. Then I discovered that it DOES kind of work like in real life (and this is not a hard and fast rule)--the guys who contact you are therefore the pursuers and thus more interested. In other words, contacting the guy often seemed to put the power balance out of whack--like emasculating him. Always had more success with the ones who contacted me. They were genuinely more interested. Make sense? Sorry--lots of hours spent, may as well share my knowledge! Also, just be sure not to take it too personally. Lots of people (I am guilty of this) lose interest and take forever to reply, or never reply at all. And who knows why? (I stopped being interested and stopped even checking my matches at one point). So I just try to keep that in mind, otherwise you feel like you're being rejected, like, every day. Nice feeling! Have fun with it! Just the fact that the men look interesting to you is a good thing.

    Sorry--this is really long and you don't even know me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great feedback, Jo. I think I will take your advice. I'm not going to expect anything to come from it, but look forward to at least having a lunch or dinner with someone interesting...Who knows, maybe I'll even find someone to actually attend cultural events with once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete