Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Awkwardness

We live in a great neighborhood. Most Saturday nights in the summer, someone has the "ice cream flag." That is where the neighborhood will gather at 7:00 for ice cream. The kids love it. Sometimes, there will be an outdoor movie after ice cream, at one of my neighbors' houses...she has a tarp hung over her deck to show movies. Everyone just brings a lawn chair or blanket, some popcorn, or whatever, and watches the movie. We also have a block party every year...just a great community.

About a year or so ago, my neighbor's little girl started bullying E. I have no idea what triggered it, she just all of a sudden started bullying him - not including him on things, telling others to do the same, pushing and sometimes hitting him. She was eight at the time and E was four. Her mother and I had a couple talks and I do believe her mom tried to nip it off at the bud. However, she can only do so much. Things have definitely improved, but S (the girl next door) still bullies once in awhile. The sad thing is that she drags all the other neighborhood kids in on it because they are all afraid of her. She is one of those kids who is extremely athletic and will beat just about any boy in any sport. She also dresses and acts like a boy. Anyway, the kids follow her. E is one of the youngest kids in the neighborhood, so I guess he's a good candidate to pick on.

This summer, that same neighbor put in an inground pool. The fence they put around it is just wrought iron, so, while it prevents any accidents from occurring, it does not provide any privacy -- for them or us. Our backyards just blend together. When the pool was being built, they told us we could come over any time. But, I feel really awkward doing that without a formal invitation each time. So, when we go out to our backyard, my kids just look over there and watch everyone else jumping and playing in the pool. Of course, the other kids in the neighborhood, just show up in their bathingsuits. I'm fairly sure they are not formally invited either. And, I don't think we would get a formal invitation if S is in the pool with her friends.

Now, S has a younger sister, M. I can see M looking over at us with a look in her eye that wants to play with E, but she has hardly spoken to us since we returned from Europe. I can only wonder what kind of brainwashing S did while we were away. M and E used to play well together. Now, nothing. So, even if S were in the pool with her friends, it would be logical for E to go over and play, too, with M (who is just two years older than E).

So, we now have an awkward situation. My kids are constanly staring at the pool, but don't get invitations to come over. I'm thinking I should put some privacy bushes between their yard and ours, but don't want to create tension between our families. We really do like the family. In fact, M is having a birthday pool party this weekend, to which E and e were invited. I just don't really understand what is going on there. It seems to me that if it were our pool, and I saw M or S outside, I would tell them to get their suits on and come over.

3 comments:

  1. Man, an uncomfortable situation.
    Since the mom of S and M said you could come over any time to swim, perhaps she sees your NOT coming over on your own as a personal choice NOT to swim and play with them. She might be wondering what happened with you and isn't bold enough to ask why there is distance between your families. I'm sure she knows of your feelings on the bullying, but since she made an open invitation before, she might think you don't want to mix with S or any other family member. Seems S wouldn't be doing any inviting over to play, but M sounds like she would. And from what you've written, the parents would love you to come over too.
    I think there's a lot of assumptions being made. The tough part is starting the communication about it to clear up any misunderstandings...if there are any.
    I hope all smooths out soon and E and e can have fun with the kids and the pool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head...at least I hope that's all it is. Even if she really did mean for us to come over "any time," I still feel awkward just going over...even though that's what we always did before they had the pool...we'd all be outside and since the yards kind of blend together, the kids would play together. Somehow, now that the pool is there, it feels different. I'll see how the rest of the summer goes...Either way, I think some privacy bushes or trees might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's because there's a fence now, I think.
    I'd be the same way--would feel awkward to just invite myself. But maybe after the first couple times the awkwardness will wear off, especially if all goes well with the kids playing.

    ReplyDelete