Monday, December 7, 2009

Living in a Quaint Town


There are so many things that make this town very strange to me (see earlier post - The Local View http://theeshaveit.blogspot.com/2009/08/things-i-see-in-central-pennsylvania.html), and yet so many things that make it so quaint. Last week I took the kids on a horse and buggy ride to dinner. The University sponsors the horse and buggies to get the students to go downtown for holiday shopping. So, I took advantage of the opportunity. The kids had a blast. We got on the buggy and rode it downtown, had dinner, enjoyed the sites a little, but it was pretty cold out, so we rode the buggy back to campus. It was a lot of fun and something I look forward to doing with them each year.

Some big news...Last weekend I had a date....I know those of you who actually know me are now reading very attentively....maybe even those of you who don't know me very well. I joined eHarmony about six months ago. Corresponded with one guy for awhile and at the last minute he decided there was something in my profile that didn't sit well with him. Coincidentally, this was the same time that I told him that I used anonymous donors for my children and that I had never been married. So, I waited awhile and was recently contacted by someone else (I decided not to be the aggressor here and just be open to meeting people). Recently, I was contacted by another man, I'm going to call him Rodney. I call him Rodney because he kind of reminded me of Rodney Dangerfield! Not so much the looks department, but his accent...they must have both grown up around the corner from each other.

If you read Care's posts, you will note that awhile back she gave an overview of what it's like to do online dating...and how truthful men are...or are not. So, here are the details. The date was okay. I actually really enjoyed his company, but of course there are always some things that hit the radar. He was definitely older than he claimed. Okay, not a big deal...He was severely overweight...I don't know that I have the right to complain about this given that I need to lose quite a bit of weight, too. I am actually going through the process of getting bariatric surgery soon, so I'm looking forward to losing all that excess weight. I am at the lowest end of being accepted for the surgery so it's not like have have 200 pounds to lose. I think Rodney does - or close to it. Still, I wanted to keep an open mind. Personality should be the most important thing.

He's been extremely successful. He told me about how with his last company he had two planes, an 18000 square foot house, was number 8 on Inc's list of successful companies, palled around with Ronald Reagan, the whole uber-rich thing. A series of events in his personal life led him to have to be Mr. Mom for several years which, along with the recession of the 80s, caused his company to tank. He says he lost everything. Now, "everything" I think is quite different from what most people think. Meanwhile, he drives a car that costs well over $100k and has three more fairly expensive cars at home. He has five kids, four of which are his biologically, the fifth one he adopted. An interesting story but suggests his values are in the right place.

So, I've agreed to go out with him again, although I don't see any chemistry between us. I also think that chemistry is sometimes something that develops over time, so that is why I want to give him a chance. At this point in my life, though, I'm not one to put up with a lot of BS...I say it how it is. I'm going to gently encourage him to lose some weight next time I see him. Not so much for appearances, but mostly for his health. I really don't want to get involved with someone who is going to be dead in five years.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, very interesting about the date! Definately keep us updated. The dating thing is hard. Well, you know what happened with me. I'm going to have a hard time trusing anyone after this last fiasco. So when will surgery be? I know several people who have had the surgery done with great results. I myself am on the failed relationship diet. It's been hugely successful...as long as you don't count the mental health effects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your lack of trust. It takes so long to gain trust and so little to lose it...forever. Hang in there! Great that the diet works, though! At least he'll be looking at you and really pining over what he is missing!

    Not sure yet when the surgery will be...it's a HUGE process. I've been going to appointment after appointment after appointment for almost six months now. I'm finally getting close to getting an appointment with the surgeon...then it's about eight weeks from that point. I think I'm probably looking at March. I'll keep you updated on both Rodney and the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I did online dating for quite awhile before ttc; I definitely learned a lot about the process. I also learned to pay close attention to the "red flags"...if there are any, they will definitely become more clear on the 2nd date. I also tried to go slowly with the "chemistry" thing to see if it happened gradually (for me, that never really worked out...but I really do think I had the wrong attitude). Good luck, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think I look too hard for the "red flags." We have a second date this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. I am trying to stay open minded about the whole thing..I can't even remember the last time I had a date...but I'm pretty sure it was BC...and I don't just mean "before children!"

    ReplyDelete