Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ready For The Good

My new backsplash

I think it's true that bad luck comes in threes. My first bit of bad luck is still a little personal to discuss here, but number two and three came quickly thereafter. The Faculty Personnel Committee denied my petition for a sabbatical for the Spring of 2011. This REALLY pissed me off because they did not deny it for concrete reasons like we don't have the money, or we can't cover the classes while I'm gone. They said there was not enough information in it. So why the f#@k didn't they ask for more information!? They wanted more information on the research that I will be doing, why I chose Australia, and why this location helps with internationalism. Okay, isn't the answer to that last question fairly obvious? And I did tell them what research I'd be doing and why I chose Australia. All legitimate reasons. But, even if it wasn't enough information, why wouldn't they just come back and ask for more? That just really pisses me off. So, now I have a plan to meet with the President of the University. The Personnel Committee just makes a recommendation to him. Of course, he's never overturned their recommendations, but I'm hoping there's a first for everything. His decision is final. If he doesn't overturn it, I plan to file a grievance. This is so trivial, yet it could lead to such dissatisfaction on my part.

Number three....E got a little rash on his head last week...it turned out to be a fungus. So, I just put some antifungal cream on it and it was gone overnight. I broke out in a rash on my back and side at the same time. So, I figured it was the same fungus and treated it the same. Only mine got worse. I finally went to the doctor yesterday who confirmed I have shingles. If you've never had it before, I hope you never do! It feels like a constant jellyfish sting...itchy and stingy pain at the same time. She gave me some medication to help control it and some vicadin for the pain...apparently, I just have to let it run it's course since there is no cure.

I'm ready for more GOOD news!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Shingles is SO painful. I've not had it but just watching those that have, my heart goes out to you. Antiviral won't help?
    So sorry to hear about the sebatical denial. It seems premature. Does someone have it out for you or have ties to the committee to throw your ideas under a bus before giving it chance? Seems like an inside job....
    Good luck with bad luck thing #1. I'm curious, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They gave me an antiviral, but since I didn't catch it within the first couple of days, there's really nothing they can do. It IS really painful, but the vicadin is helping..fortunately, it doesn't make me loopy!

    I'm wondering about the sabbatical, too, whether it was an inside job. It really does seem very premature...that's what pisses me off so much. Seems we would want to encourage a more communicative relationship among faculty. Fingers crossed that I can talk some sense into our President.

    ReplyDelete